Notably Unnotable: Should Wikipedia Delete Me?

Slate Produces Two Good... Public Choice Theory, Example ...

Wikipeda recently featured a discussion about whether the article about me should be deleted:

Caplan is an associate professor, who wrote a few articles, and has a number of opinions. He certainly isn't notable.

It seems to me that the fact that someone would bother to try to delete me is notable per se.

Anyway, I made the cut.

Who wrote it?
Won't the contributors mind?

Scott Scheule writes:

Mazel tov.

Eric writes:

Follow the links provided by Bryan -- the user who recommended that Bryan be deleted is director of the "Jesus Christ Saves Ministries". Hilarious.

Collin Imhof writes:

Come on, cut the guy a little slack. He is a licensed soccer coach after all.

mthomas writes:

I wonder what set him off. That is really funny stuff (irony mostly), thanks for sharing. It is interesting to see how the community handles this within a structure of spontaneous order. Mr. Gastrich seems to be the only champion of enforcable rules (however malevolent his intentions are).

Zac writes:

I wrote the bulk of this wikipedia article (although I didn't create it). At several points the page has been vandalized, but wasn't nominated for deletion until I listed the article under Category: Atheists. As you can see, many parties not particularly interested in Bryan showed up to vote "Keep," as the nomination was made in bad faith by a religious nut trying to reduce the atheist presence on wikipedia. Its an interesting community...

Of course, the fact that someone sought to delete Bryan in no way makes him particularly notable, as there are several "deletionist" wikipedians who spend considerable time scouring wikipedia for non-notable or unencyclopedic articles and nominating them for deletion (AfD). The decision to keep, in this case, was because the nomination was made in bad faith - but were a good faith nomination made, I'm confident the article would stand up, as Bryan has major publications, a strong internet presence, and impressive returns from google / google scholar (all benchmarks for academic notability on wikipedia). Even the left-anarchists who have spent so much time berating him would not support deletion on the basis of non-notability...

David Youngberg writes:

Oh wow that guy from the Christian organization has the creepiest smile I've ever seen.

tom writes:

Now that's almost funny. To look at all of the work Professor Caplan has done in various topics and say he's "not notable?"

I've seen some articles on Wikipedia for stuff that is not only not notable but not even worth debating about being notable. Professor Caplan is definitely notable compared to some of the trash on wikipedia.

But I guess, as was mentioned, the guy who nominated professor Caplan was what I would classify a religious nut.

In any event, I'm glad you made the cut, Dr. Caplan.

Matthew writes:

Some list--no Romers, DeLong, Stetser, Roubini, Sala-i-Martin, Weingast, Dixit, Kreps, Varian, Hume, Blanchard, Hall, etc., etc.

Even so, congratulations Bryan.

Jim Bim writes:

So if I edited the article for some notable person, say the president of the United States, and said, he has received many letters from Jim Bim with policy recomendations, and he has failed to act on any of this advice, and then someone tried to remove my edit, that would mean I was a notable person myself? Because if that was an "unworthy" mention and I didn't really belong in this article, no one should bother cleaning it up?