Arnold Kling

Outstanding Lecture

Another COA Review... The Saddest Sentence I've Read...

Hans Rosling is amazing. There are many lessons in this talk about how well-being around the world has changed over the past forty years. But what struck me was the quality of the presentation.

My impression is that the number of professors who teach in lecture format is much, much larger than the number of really effective lecturers. I think that the best way to deal with this is to take the typical professor out of the lecture hall and instead substitute videos of the quality of Rosling's lecture.

Thanks to Greg Mankiw for the pointer.

CATEGORIES: Growth: Consequences

TRACKBACKS (3 to date)
TrackBack URL: http://econlog.econlib.org/mt/mt-tb.cgi/566
The author at amcgltd in a related article titled Animated Growth writes:
    If my statistics and economics classes were like this when I was in college, I might've had a different major. Yeah, right. At any rate, a very neat look at how the world has grown, and grown more wealthy,... [Tracked on September 22, 2006 11:56 AM]
fiona writes:

Doing the same sort of thing in high schools should significantly increase the productivity of the school system.

spencer writes:

That was fantastic.

I wonder what it cost to produce it.

Kyle writes:

I'm a corporate IT trainer. In my experience...the corporate world doesn't (at least in IT) buy the viability of lecture as a learning medium...indeed, even the amazing lecturers of the world are understood to suffer from the Discover Channel effect -- the tendency to think you've learned something but then not be able to remember or apply any of it.

Patri Friedman writes:

You can also find his hour-long talk at Google on Google Video:

It's totally awesome.

RogerM writes:

Fantastic lecture? Does anyone know which software he used to produce the animations? I think I may have seen a demo of it at the Data Warehouse Institute's conference in Chicago, but can't remember the name. That sort of animation is very difficult to do in SAS or SPSS.