* ASA: People study socially marginal groups. GenCon: Convention is a socially marginal group.
* ASA: People actively looking for jobs. GenCon: Some folks gave up on the job thing a long time ago…
* ASA: People paid to discuss alternate identities. GenCon: People pay to be the alternate identity.
* ASA: People often disappointed when they end up at the round tables. GenCon: People rush to make the round tables - and all panel proposals accepted!
* ASA: People look at your name tag to see what school you are from. GenCon: People look at your tags to see which Amazonian kingdom you are from.
* ASA: Strange people obssessed with probability distributions and esoteric tables. GenCon: Strange people obssessed with probability distributions and esoteric tables.
For me, the highlight of GenCon was the unexpected appearance of Tyler Cowen. Tyler the character, that is - Fab wrote a scenario involving a remote Indian village where the legendary blogger made a cameo appearance. In contrast, Tyler the person wouldn't be caught dead at GenCon.