Experimental Game Theory at HeroCon

Mankiw Scores One... Wages and Education...

If you want to role-play and study social science at the same time, don't miss this weekend's HeroCon in Glen Burnie, Maryland. (FYI: This is a convention for the Hero System role-playing game, not the NBC show Heroes).

Admittedly, there are plenty of games at HeroCon that won't feed your curiosity about politics and economics. But there are several that will. I'll personally be running two social science-themed games on Saturday: "The Magdalene Candidate" (a superhero scenario about papal politics) and "Punctuated Equilibrium" (an end-of-the-world scenario set in Washington, DC).

Oh, and on Sunday, I'll fulfill my long-term dream of joining the Japanese mafia. Sounds educational, don't you think?

Bottom line: If you're square, be there.

DrObviousSo writes:

Sounds like a hoot. Too bad I don't plan on going.

Jim Clay writes:

Can you play even if you haven't played the Hero System before (but have played other role playing games)?

Bryan Caplan writes:
Jim Clay writes:

In my games, certainly - I'm a big believer in learn-as-you-go.

In anyone else's, probably - but I'd double-check with the GM.

Eric Crampton writes:

If you can make it, join in Caplan's Punctuated Equilibrium game. I was lucky enough to play in an early trial run back in May (CaplanCon!). So good...if only there were some really cheap, really fast way of getting there from New Zealand...sigh....

The Papal game looks great fun too...I'm so jealous of you DC folks, and so irritated at those who wouldn't have to fly 24 hours to get there and still choose not to play....

Zubon writes:

Much luck with the applied research. May it lead to many professional publications.

David Strutt writes:

Bryan I didn't know that economists played RPGs. That's cool.

John Fast writes:

I'm in agony because I can't attend! Especially because my old Champions[TM] character "Yank" is a red-white-and-blue superpatriot and libertarian... Are you providing pre-generated characters, or can people bring their own, and what point values?