Why My Sales Spiked

Subprime Daily Briefing, Dec. ... Faster Human Evolution...

The Financial Times has named The Myth of the Rational Voter one of the best books of 2007. And I'm in some good company, though one could argue that the most convincing endorsements come from people who don't share my tastes.

P.S. From a review of my book from Amazon.uk:

[A] book written for the university educated and the class of society who never have to fear unemployment. The university style of writing makes it difficult to understand what he is going on about, since you have to keep looking up a dictionary.
I'm puzzled; how could you even try to write a sub-university-level book about voter rationality? I guess I could have authored Voter Irrationality for Dummies, but that seems like a truly narrow market. :-)

Eric Crampton writes:

I can totally imagine a children's version. With illustrations of crazy voters doing crazy things. Rhyming.

I won't need a copy for about two years. Make sure it's ready by then.

Unit writes:

Maybe you can refer the reviewer to your comic strip version...

Steve Miller writes:

I looked up a dictionary once. But it was boring, which made it hard to hold my concentration.

David Robinson writes:

I'm far from a professional economist, but I don't remember ever having to look in a dictionary when I read "Myth of the Rational Voter." I'll admit that most professional economic papers I'd need to read next to a good reference guide, but "Myth of the Rational Voter" seemed to me to be written for a pretty standard audience.

I certainly found it less dense than Hayek or Von Mises, or even Milton Friedman (who can certainly get "university-level" when he's writing a chapter on monetary policy, even in his most generally-aimed books).

shayne writes:

Fear not, Bryan. As long as you are propagating knowledge and information, you are serving humanity. There are already enough folks out there propagating ignorance and misinformation - serving themselves only.

Barkley Rosser writes:

Congratulations on the Fin Times kudo.

Douglass Holmes writes:

I didn't need a dictionary, but I did find the explanation of Public Choice difficult to follow. Still, it wasn't as difficult as the Cisco technical books I have to read, and I didn't need to take a test when I finished. Your book is an important contribution to the public discussion of democracy.