An Amazing Map

Mencius Moldbug Asks Some Ques... Financial Crises and Real Grow...

Check this out: The 50 U.S. states have been renamed for countries with similar GDPs. You'll learn as much about America as you will about the world.

TRACKBACKS (1 to date)
TrackBack URL: http://econlog.econlib.org/mt/mt-tb.cgi/787
The author at Continuous Productivity in a related article titled GDP Of The USA as World writes:
    Thanks to Bryan Caplan at EconLog, I was able to find this amazing map. [Tracked on January 17, 2008 6:24 PM]
Tim writes:

It is an amazing map. I first ran across a version of it in the Chicago Tribune in June, 2007. I subsequently created a lesson plan for teachers, using the Trib's map and posted it on my blog. Thanks for keeping the issue in view. As you said, you can learn as much about the U.S. as you can about other countries.

Randy writes:

Cool! I think Norway on Minnesota was particularly appropriate, and I'm a bit surpised at Brazil on New York.

John Pertz writes:

It really gives you an appreciation for how large the U.S economy. If that doesnt hammer the point home, nothing will.

Ironman writes:

It's definitely a cool map - it actually served as part of the inspiration behind this discussion for how to show the relationship between health care expenditures and GDP!

Also, Strange Maps followed up that original map with another that's been corrected to better match state and country GDPs (plus another that shows how much of the U.S. would be taken up by the economies of the next four biggest GDP countries.)

PrestoPundit writes:

This map is already out of date with the drop of the value of the dollar.

As the dollar continues to drop, the map will continually need up dating.

A listing of relative productivity measures would also give us a heads up and where various states are headed relative to their current "sister" countries.

Gary Rogers writes:

Congratulations Tim, who wrote that he made a lesson plan out of this. I hope that more teachers follow suite and it spreads to every school in the country. It conveys so much information in such a concise manner that it has to be a great teaching tool.

Adam Martin writes:

Bryan, I guess this means you are an Austrian economist after all.

Dan writes:

I don't think New Jersey's GDP is at all close to Russia.

Chalon writes:

I'm on vacation in Istanbul, Turkey and for some reason the government has denied access to this map. Last time I checked, Turkey had the world's 20th largest economy which is pretty impressive even before you consider the neighborhood. So, what's so bad about this map? I can't wait to get back to Austin and extrapolate what the government is thinking. Commence Turkish prison jokes now!