Arnold Kling

Liberal Fascism Watch

Singapore's Health Care System... Happiness Research...

The Boston Globe reports

Mayor Thomas M. Menino embarked on a highly public campaign yesterday to block CVS Corp. and other retailers from opening medical clinics inside their stores, an effort that exposed a rift between Menino and the state's public health commissioner, a longtime ally.

...The decision by the state Public Health Council, "jeopardizes patient safety," Menino said in a written statement. "Limited service medical clinics run by merchants in for-profit corporations will seriously compromise quality of care and hygiene. Allowing retailers to make money off of sick people is wrong."

In a separate letter, Menino urged members of the city's Public Health Commission to consider barring the clinics from Boston.

I have a forthcoming review of Jonah Goldberg's new book, Liberal Fascism, in which I argue that the title is a poor choice. But I have to concede that there are going to be times when I am tempted to use the term myself.

mgroves writes:

"Allowing retailers to make money off of sick people is wrong."

Wow. Just...wow.

Ross Levatter writes:

Good to know Mass General makes no profit...

Troy Camplin writes:

With such a title, I would have assumed it was about the postmodern movement.

Tim Lundeen writes:

I saw this earlier today, but I just got the title. Started reading Jonah Goldberg's book :-)

It could be a good meme, the "Liberal Fascism Watch"

Mr. Liberal writes:

As a liberal, I think this blocking of CVS health clinics is just plain stupid and immoral.

This is not representative of liberal policy at its best.

I am wondering if we cannot trace the Mayor's opposition to lobbying by the competition.

Jon writes:

I have used the "Minute clinics" inside CVS. They are great for getting really minor things--vaccinations and simple tests taken care of. No appointment needed, short wait times, they are on some insurance plans, and unlike most doctors they are upfront about their fees---they post them on the web site.

Jose writes:

Surely everybody knows by now that limiting access to health care brings the price down.

This goes beyond Liberalism, this is Moronism.

I have discussed with my wife many a time that what the medical industry needs is to have to bring the price of medical care down is more of a "retail" facing to their customers: More Urgent care clinics, etc.

Axel writes:

"Allowing retailers to make money off of sick people is wrong."

A few changes...

"Allowing grocers to make money off of hungry people is wrong."

Much better.

Dan Weber writes:

I thought the fetish for "non-profit" stuff died off when all the non-profit credit counseling services sprang up to prey on the stupid and naive. Or are some people still hankering to be taught a very expensive lesson?

Troy Camplin writes:

Just read some reviews and the blurb of the book, and I think Liberal Fascism -- while redundant -- is actually a great title. It's provocative, which means conservatives will read it precisely because of the title, and liberals will read it because the title ticks them off. However, if you're thinking of "liberal" as "classical liberal," then it is in fact a contradictory title. But most Americans think liberal = Left.

CDeBoe writes:

Axel, you didn't quite fix it. Try this:
"Allowing government to make money off of citizens is wrong."