How Singapore Sells Co-Payment

Educational Obsession in Pop C... More Laughs in Economics...
In Singapore, the government almost never hands out goodies free of charge.  There's almost always a co-payment, even for health care and education.  Western economists justify these charges as a partial remedy for "moral hazard."

But perhaps Singapore has been more successful in selling the idea because it's got better marketing.  They don't defend co-payments as a way to avoid moral hazard.  They defend co-payments as a way to avoid a "buffet mentality."

Great slogan, no?  Economic educators, formal and informal, take note!

Dave writes:

Reminds me of the "cafeteria Catholic" metaphor.

Steve Miller writes:

@ 2:35 in I explain moral hazard (and adverse selection), using the example of an all-you-can-eat buffet.

I'm pretty sure I got the idea from Bryan, though.

dearieme writes:

As distinct from Buffet?

chug writes:

Many years ago I was with a university continuing education program that offered free admission to graduate students. The no-show rate for these "free registrations" was almost 100%. So I implemented a $5 charge, and the student registration rate dropped by about 75% but almost all graduate students who paid $5 for registration (rather than the regular $195 rate) showed up.

Requiring a token fee is a good way to cut down on "free things."

csning writes:

"But perhaps Singapore has been more successful in selling the idea because it's got better marketing."

Right, and I'm completely sure that the fact that it is functionally a one party system and a restrictive semi - democracy has nothing at all to do with that.

Instareader writes:

[Comment removed for supplying false email address. Email the webmaster@econlib.org to request restoring this comment. A valid email address is required to post comments on EconLog.--Econlib Ed.]