Arnold Kling

Official Takes Stand Against Auto Bailout

Give Back My Wallet... The Principal of Convenience...

A heroic public servant speaks.

"Voters picked me because they wanted nursery schools, police and nurses, and not to buy loss-making car factories,"

From that bastion of heartless, free-market ideology, Sweden. Thanks to Richard Florida for the pointer.

CATEGORIES: Political Economy

David R. Henderson writes:

Now let's work on him to see the problem with government funding of nursery schools, police and nurses.

dearieme writes:

Saabotage.

Methinks writes:

David,

I think he's a she (Maud).

She had me until she accused GM of "abandoning" Saab after saying Saab has been losing money. Killing a money losing division is the most prudent thing a company can do. Her comments smack of an expectation or even a demand for American taxpayers to subsidize a wealth destroying company located in Sweden.

kurt writes:

Then again, they don't laugh at you when you drive a bicycle to work in Sweden. They simply don't like cars.

Jacob Oost writes:

The "Big Three" are dead to me, I'll never buy a car from them. They have my money without my consent.

malavel writes:

Methinks,

The accusation might just be the usual political pandering crap. It's difficult to know what a politician really thinks. I'm happy as long as the decisions are good.

Jesper writes:

Kurt, you better believe we like cars. We have two car brands (Volvo and SAAB) and we live in a sparsely populated country. However, we don't have mindless urban sprawl or more or less free gasoline. With some careful urban planning and high gasoline taxes, we have reasonable cars, reasonable commutes and don't feel the need to flood oil producing countries with our money.

dearieme writes:

"[we] don't feel the need to flood oil producing countries with our money": choosing instead to flood the Baltic republics?

johnleemk writes:

David:

That's rather surprising -- while I can at least see where you're coming from re education and healthcare (although I would disagree with you a bit), I thought it's generally well-established that pure public goods like security need to be funded by some governing authority.

malavel writes:

johnleemk,

Security isn't a pure public good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-Capitalism

Dan Weber writes:

Even the one that hasn't taken any government money?