The App Most Likely to Make Me Get an iPhone

John Nye on Economic History... Separation of Health and State...
Time/happiness diaries just got a lot easier: There's now a Track Your Happiness app for the iPhone.  How does it work?
  1. Answer a few questions

First we'll ask you some questions for statistical purposes. This will take about 10 minutes.
  2. Track your happiness

Using your iPhone, you'll be notified by email or text message and asked to report how you are feeling and what you are doing. You decide when and how often you want to be notified.
  3. Your Happiness Report

This report will show how your happiness varies depending on what you are doing, who you are with, where you are, what time of day it is, and a variety of other factors.
I'm still not sold, but if I do get an iPhone, this will be my first app to add.

aretae writes:

Happiness tracking is good, but only measures one kind of happiness.

Alex writes:

Its not really an iPhone app. The survey's they require you to fill out are web pages you access through the phones browser.

It's currently formatted best to be used through an iPhone. I have an Android based phone and have no real problem using the service (the look of the web page could be a little cleaner).

As long as you have a browser you should be able to use the service I would think...I wonder why they are being so specific with the iPhone.

Justin Martyr writes:

No way. The RSS readers are the best app. I'm surprised that a blogger wouldn't agree. Stuck waiting to get your oil changed? Check your blogs.

I'm also mildly addicted to doodle jump.

Steve Z writes:

Grossarth-Maticek has made some pretty sweeping claims about the relationship of happiness (or attitude) to health. See here: http://www.attitudefactor.com/index.htm

(Hat tip to Hans Eysenck.)

It would be interesting to see an attitude jogging iPhone app. More interesting still is the possibility of validating Maticek's findings (that attitude jogging significantly increases longevity) using said iPhone app (in tandem with a "dummy" app).

wesley writes:

I just signed up for it. I like it. Lots of sliding scale questions (how happy are you? how focused are you?) and check-the-box questions (are you talking with people? how many people are you talking with?), but they're quick and easy to answer. I'm excited to see what the report eventually says. Maybe you can get your hands on the aggregate data in a few years...

wcublogger writes:

[Comment removed pending confirmation of email address. Email the webmaster@econlib.org to request restoring this comment. A valid email address is required to post comments on EconLog.--Econlib Ed.]

Braden writes:

@Alex

Quite right. Bryan, if you have any phone with a good browser or can get to a computer at most times of the day, you don't need an iPhone for this.

@aretae

This study actually somewhat responds to your criticism: not only does it have an initial survey about general life satisfaction, but it asks you every time you report about whether something in your past or future is making you happy or sad. IMHO, if something in your life isn't actively affecting your emotions on a regular basis, it's not meaningful to describe it as affecting some sort of meta-happiness.