Me on Twitter, My New Book on Amazon

Creative Destruction: Sumner E... Rand the Intuitionist...
I'm now on Twitter as bryan_caplan.  For the first year or so, I'm going to use it to promote my views on kids and parenting, then see how things evolve.

My book on this subject, Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids: Why Being a Great Parent Is Less Work and More Fun Than You Think, is on sale April 12 - in time for Mother's Day.  But you can pre-order now.  Hope you like the cover!

kidscover.jpg

Update: The Twitter link should work for everyone now, thanks to Trent Rock and Dave Milovich in the comments.

Zac Gochenour writes:

I still think "less work and more fun" should be highlighted rather than "than you think." But I do like the colors.

Trent Rock writes:

Twitter link does not work===>

Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!
Björn writes:

Will I be able to by this in the Kindle store? Im swedish and regular mail is slow and so 20-century.

volatility bounded writes:

The literature on happiness shows that there is either no correllation between happiness and children or a mild negative correllation. Caplan knows this and has posted about this in the past, so I shake my head at him writing a book arguing having kids is less burdensome than the data shows.

The most compelling reason to think children are burdensome is that as countries get wealthy enough to have developed financial markets and old-age social welfare programs they have less kids. That suggests a big reason people have kids is a way to save for old-age, and many people don't think they are such a good deal.

cole writes:

I hope there will be a kindle edition as well.

Evan writes:

He's also posted on the reason he thinks there's no correlation between kids and happiness. Namely, that parents today work too hard and waste all their time and money on overparenting. I believe his book will make the logical argument that parents would be happier if they placed more focus on having fun with their kids and less on overparenting.

Dave Milovich writes:

didn't work for me either.

did work.

AM writes:

Any plans for an audio book?

W Schultz writes:

Congrats!

A Liberal in Lakeview writes:

Hmmm, what does Mrs. Caplan have to say about the hints being dropped with this book?

Well, whatever the case, dad dispensed a fine piece of advice for parents via Twitter on the 29th of January:

"Making your kid learn an instrument because you love music is like making your kid become a stuntman because you love action movies."
Daniel Lurker writes:

I agree with Zac. But having "less work and more fun" emphasized, sandwiched in between two less important lines, might look really bad. And the "Than you think" highlights the well researched bias-smashing inside the book. :)

The font for the main title is awesome - reminds me of twisty balloons.