Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids Website

Anti-Foreign Bias versus Chart... The Great Pacification...
My official book website, http://www.havemorekidsbook.com, is up.  If you've got suggestions for improvement, please share.

Brian D. writes:

A few suggestions:

- Instead of the scary academic picture, use the one from your Twitter profile. It's much less threatening (and appeals to a wider audience).

- Link to your Twitter account!

Otherwise, it certainly looks better than your personal web page (circa 1999?).

Peter Russo writes:

I'm not the first to say this but I think the "Less Work and More Fun" should be bold rather than "Than You Think". I'm not convinced that the latter phrase is attractive to a consumer - just feels random and it's conceptually incomplete compared to the former.

I suppose it's too late now but 2 cents nonetheless.

jh writes:

I'm looking forward to your book and I plan to buy one.

Just wondering, is there anything in your about homework? How important is it? How much should kids push to finish it all and do it well? How much should parents focus on it?

I've tried helping my daughter with homework, but I get too frustrated too quickly when she doesn't get it as fast as I'd like. We've had some pretty ugly evenings. For now, I've stopped getting too involved. I figure she'll understand the content someday and it's not that important that she gets it all RIGHT NOW.

I was never one to do much homework when I was in school. (Pretty sure I did ok in Caplan's Econometrics course without doing much homework.) Part of me thinks that was "bad" (because that's what I was always told) and I should do what I can encourage my kids to be "good" in that respect. But, deep down, I'm just not sure it's all that important and certainly isn't worth the yelling and screaming it seems to bring in our house sometimes.

Finch writes:

I'm very much looking forward to the press this generates. Amy Chua was a lucky break for you - she could not have warmed up the audience any better.

Best of luck Bryan!

Joe Martin writes:

I'd very much like to see a Kindle version. I went to Amazon last week intending to pre-order the Kindle edition. I was rather shocked to see that there wasn't one. (Yet?)

Me and my (pre)order dollars are standing by.

Robbie writes:

I recommend changing the photograph of you since I think it looks too formal. For a book that I expect will be rather contrarian I think coming across as an academic lecturing people on bringing up their children is something to be avoided. Go for a nice happy casual photograph!

HH writes:

Where available, link to full reviews. I don't take excerpts seriously, and I think most people don't care for blurbs.

Daniel Lurker writes:

Maybe one of the photos posted on FB of you playing with your kids? It would be germane to the argument of the book ... and just a better photo.

Bryan Caplan writes:

Many thanks, kind readers. I tried to get the publisher to use a less formal picture and change the emphasis in the subtitle, but to no avail. But maybe the website can have a different picture.

Matt Skene writes:

My wife (who is a graphic designer) thought that the text on the reviews and excerpt pages spread too far across the screen, which inhibits readability. Adding an image like on the other pages or using double columns could fix that. I'm looking forward to reading the book.

Chinese parent's child writes:

The site looks fine. I wish there was more info (e.g. longer or more numerous excerpts) but that's because I am impatient to read the book. I will read it as soon as I can, and if I deem it worthy (which I most likely will), recommend it for translation. So, if you haven't already, you might get international rights rolling pretty quickly.

"I tried to get the publisher to use a less formal picture and change the emphasis in the subtitle, but to no avail. But maybe the website can have a different picture."

Sorry, but the picture is totally appropriate. In the book, you are an academic lecturing parents and adults of reproductive age based on stuff you read in scientific papers - not based on your experience with your own children. This photo, while not appealing, implies a mix of awkwardness and intimidation that is totally appropriate for someone in that position. You are not a reader's cuddly friend, but a lecturer who thinks he knows best because he read some books.