Unz Debate Analysis

Prices are Like Words... Michael Cohen: Lying is Alrig...
I suspect many readers are suffering from post-immigration-debate fatigue.  In the interests of fairness, though, here is my opponent Ron Unz's takeaway.

kebko writes:

From Unz:
"I focused on the obvious point that the law of supply and demand ensured that a huge increase in the number of willing workers would greatly reduce their economic bargaining power against their employers."
"the main economic proposal I have advocated over the last few years has been a sharp rise in the national minimum wage, perhaps to $12.00 per hour...An immediate jump of thirty or forty percent in the take-home pay of America’s working-poor would greatly alleviate their financial desperation."

Just to clarify this for all of you elitist economic theorists: The law of supply and demand is "obvious" in the low wage labor market that includes immigrants, but does not exist in any other context, including the native low wage labor market and markets where immigrants are consumers.

Chris writes:

Ah, so a high minimum wage will price out low-skilled immigrants, but not low-skilled Americans. I get it now!

BarryV writes:

This would be my response to Unz.

Andrew_FL writes:

Watch the pea under the thimble. A person harmed by such a minimum wage hike is not among the "working poor," he is among the workless poor. He gets a 100% decrease in his take-home pay and his financial desperation is exacerbated, not alleviated.

Floccina writes:

Interesting I think that a wage subsidy to all USA citizens might do to immigrants something close to what a higher minimum wage would do. E.g. make US citizens as cheap as unskilled immigrants.

David writes:

It's always interesting when minimum wage supporters assert that large corporations would be able to handle the increase in labor cost but never seem to mention the effect on "main street".

magusj writes:

Mr. Caplan, I vociferously disagree with you on immigration but I must commend your very fair minded linkage of your opponents and their arguments. If only all debates, online and in real life, were this civil in discourse.