Myth of the Rational Voter: The Animated Series

Great Moments in Federal Gover... Mitt Romney's True Colors...
Learn Liberty is doing a four-video series on The Myth of the Rational Voter's four big economic biases.  Production values are very high, and the animators used so many of my visual ideas that I can now justifiably re-classify my years of graphic novel reading from pure consumption to human capital acquisition.  The first video - on make-work bias - is up.

Please enjoy... and promote!

Eli writes:

Great job!

I shared it on Facebook even though I expect people to comment telling me I have no idea what I'm talking about, and that this is just the free market "version" of economics.

Who can get mad at little cartoon Bryan Caplan though?

honeyoak writes:

The comic version of Bryan is quite dashing!!

Pajser writes:

The solution is planned economy. In planned economy workers never lose the job, they only change their workplace.

Bill writes:

Umm, did you watch the video?
How well have planned economies worked out before?

Don Boudreaux writes:

Pajser,

Are you familiar with a subject called "history"?

Pajser writes:

Bill: "Umm, did you watch the video? How well have planned economies worked out before?"

Not well but not that bad either. GDP per capita Eastern Europe vs Western Europe was 0.46 in 1950 and in 1978 it was exactly the same. Only after 1978 it started sliding. Cuba in period of 1960-today progressed slightly faster than average of Dominican republic and Jamaica, two most similar countries in neighborhood. (I am fair so I count Haiti as a special case.) Cuba also progressed about equally as whole Latin America. And maybe they would progress slightly better if there are no American trade sanctions.

All these countries were/are dictatorships, with little transparency, freedom of speech and without democracy and it probably increases corruption and slows down identification of errors in plans. The majority of people didn't supported socialist idea, so again, they probably sabotaged (corruption, black market, laziness) slightly more then they otherwise would. The regimes probably made some harmful populist decisions they wouldn't do if they had authentic support of majority. All that, I believe, is reserve for at least one percentage point faster average growth in planned economies than what we have seen. It is good enough for my point.

On the other side, there is no fear of unemployment, there is more equality, less crime and there is that feeling that one doesn't work for someone's new yacht but for common good. It sounds good to me. No chance to be 10+ × wealthier than average either but I do not care for that.

libertarian jerry writes:

[Comment removed pending confirmation of email address and for policy violation. Email the webmaster@econlib.org to request restoring this comment. A valid email address is required to post comments on EconLog and EconTalk.--Econlib Ed.]

libertarian jerry writes:

webmaster,please view my valid email address.Thanks

[You have to validate it by responding to the email we sent you. Or by emailing us from that address. --Econlib Ed.]

Ken from Ohio writes:

The timing of this is very good.

Hopefully the whole series will be completed by 2015 -in preparation for the 2016 election cycle.

Every 4 years (presidential election cycle) I dust off and reread Prof. Caplan's book.

I learn something new every time

Marketing idea: ***maybe a new e-book can be developed that contains links to these videos

lbignell writes:

Unemployment is only one of many reasons that workers change roles to be more productive. I can work at McDonalds and yet still take a job at Google. That is incentive enough to avoid a stagnant society.